Friday, March 30, 2012

work in progress - rework in progress - necklace version 4.1...

Many of you will know just what I mean. Creating a piece of jewelry does not always happen in a straightforward way. You have an idea or even a visualized finished piece and in the process of making it, things change. You may have a new inspiration. Something might not work as planned. Maybe you aren't completely happy with the finished piece. You start down one path, retrace your steps and go down another. New options arise. You retrace your steps again... and so it goes.

None of this is ever visible in the finished piece. So I thought it might be interesting to show some of those byways...


Heavy gauge copper wire for the top of the focal...


That ring at the top just didn't convince me in the end - off it went.




Smaller gauge wire with recycled glass bead inserted - much better, I think.



The gauge of wire I was using ended up being too thick, so new hooks needed to be forged. I wasn't happy with the result of using sari silk ribbon. Started a different version with waxed cord - not happy with that either...

See the final version tomorrow...

12 comments:

mairedodd said...

you'll get it... i really do love tha green bead at the top - and the way it ties into the cascade... thank you for sharing the process...

SummersStudio said...

I love seeing process. And yes, this happens with what I do too. Things evolve. Even designs that I've been happy with for a long time evolve and morph into something similar but new. Sometimes I think the process can be the most fulfilling part of design. Having said all that I think this focal is coming along beautifully. The green bead is perfect and I love it very much.

lunedreams said...

Ha, if I had a nickel for every "thought experiment" that didn't work, I'd be rich! Or rich enough to buy a dinner out anyway. Ha ha. I too love that green bead in there--it looks intentional, like you put a little peek-a-boo spot there just for a bead. This is giving me great ideas for focals...Wonderful bit of design!

steufel said...

Oh Renate, wie spannend. Ich finde das total interessant, den Prozess miterleben zu dürfen. Was Du beschrieben hast, kenne ich sehr gut:-) Und ich bin gespannt, wie das fertige Stück ausieht!

CS said...

It is always heartening to learn others don't always get the piece perfect the first time. Thanks for sharing your process and look forward to seeing the final results!

Beatnheart said...

I most of the time just drive myself nuts!

Vintajia Adornments said...

I do so identify with multiple re-constructions and how you go in a certain direction but the piece morphs into something else.
Love the colour combination and looking forward to the final piece. (Pity we don't sign our work. The rule amongst painters is if you've signed it it's finished!)

Numinosity said...

I was just thinking today about sometimes when I try a new connection or somesuch and it comes out just right, just so the very first time around and then it's a whole afternoon of struggle trying to repeat it.
I vowed that this year I wouldn't rely on just my bread and butter items that I can do blindfolded and boy are there a lot of stops and starts let me tell you!
Thanks for sharing your process.
xoxo Kim

Gayle said...

I am all to familiar with the "redo and restart" process...
It's nice to know that others whose work I admire go through that as well. Can't wait to see the finished product!!

Lela said...

Trust me, I feel your pain.

Looking forward to the final product!

sharon said...

I can spend days on something, to no satisfaction, then wala! We all know this process, but I sure love seeing yours! It looks beautiful to me!

Barry said...

S/R - one of the things I love about the blog world is the willingness to share the process and also the 2 steps forward and 1 backwards part of the process. Different from websites where we tend nay to show our finished and most likely better-best work. I like the organic nature of the piece and the green bead at the top keeps the flow going. Looking forward to V4.2. Go well. B