Saturday, January 30, 2010

old postcards

As I have mentioned in my profile, I am a collector. Apparently, this is something I have inherited. Not that I have inherited a lot of old collections. That would have been nice, but no. Among the very few things I have from my family is an envelope full of antique postcards. It seems my greatgrandmother collected them. They were saved by one of her daughters - my greataunt; sister of my grandmother. And now they are in my possesion. By chance. I have been scanning them, so that I may use the images in my mixed media work and thought perhaps some of you might like to have a look at a few.


This first one is not as old as the rest, as it was sent to my greataunt. The Red Square in Moscow, 1959


Riga (capital of Latvia, but at the time of this postcard, it belonged to Russia), this card is from 1899


Trollhättan Falls, Sweden in 1899


Notre Dame in Paris, 1903

Unfortunately, I don't know who sent these cards. But I am intrigued by the fact that my greatgrandparents knew some well traveled people in their time. After all, travelling around the world wasn't something everyone did, back then.

13 comments:

mairedodd said...

these are terrific and you just reminded me of pics i wanted to post... my great great grandfather did traveling into switzerland and such and we have theses interesting metal 'tags' that seem to have been nailed into a walking stick... i took pictures of them...
thank you for sharing these - they will be wonderful in your art!

Beverly Herman said...

Those are like magic pieces of paper! Thanks for sharing them.

SummersStudio said...

These are gorgeous and I love that old fashioned hand writing. When did we loose all of the swirls in out handwriting?

lilylovekin said...

You are lucky to have such beautiful mementos from family. It makes it extra special. And how wonderful that they were such adventurous people.

creativelenna said...

they are gorgeous, Renate! i love old postcards, they hold stories . . .
lenna

Narrative jewelry said...

This is a treasury Renate, like you i love old postcards, there is always a story behind each one. Love the one from Sweden, it's a part of my family, and off course... the one with Notre Dame, it was a time when Paris was a little more quiet than now ! No cars just people walking they way.
Thank you to share sweet Ren.
Yesterday we saw on TV the last news from Germany concerning the snow, ahem... Sorry dear friend.

Cindy said...

Renate, we have joined you with a ton of snow here in VA! ...of course not as much as you, but it is COLD!
I love old post cards as well, so I'm glad you took the time to scan these so we could enjoy them as well. I like that one from Trollhatten...I cannot read what it says entirely, but it's amazing that it's from 1899! These are all so special.

Esther said...

beautifuls postcards from your grand'ma !! love the one with "notre dame"!! lot of people on the steet..

sharon said...

These are gorgeous Renate.....you can feel the history in them, you can dream the story.

Silke Powers said...

Renate, these are such a treasure to have and to use in your mixed media art! I love the images, the writing and the old stamps! Wonderful!!! Hugs, Silke

Pretty Things said...

Those are INCREDIBLE. I could shoot myself for gifting my Victorian ones (in a vintage postcard album, no less) to someone who probably threw them away.

Unknown said...

These are marvelous treasures you have inherited Renate! And now you will certainly have fun with them in your art.

Diane said...

Oh, I love these! How precious to now have them in your possession....forever! Not to show up in an antique store~
FOR SALE!