Sunday, June 21, 2009

Midsummer Nights Dream

Peaseblossom's Necklace
Just finished this necklace, which began with a piece of silk rod in green and a copper filigree. And then whimsy took over, must be because of midsummer. Must have faeries in my head... Peaseblossom is one of the faeries serving Titania in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Nights Dream.

Peaseblossom's Necklace, Detail
I think this necklace would be something Peaseblossom might wear, with all those little flower shaped jade dangles and copper spirals.
Finished with a copper hook I forged myself and fused copper rings.
Thank you to Deryn Mentock, whose work was the original inspiration for this necklace.

13 comments:

Lorelei Eurto said...

Beautiful design!

TesoriTrovati said...

I really love the color. A very fresh green. And I adore the literary reference. A Midsummer Night's Dream is my all time favorite Shakespeare play. There is a sense of whimsy here that I think Peaseblossom would certainly enjoy. Enjoy the day! Erin

Silke Powers said...

Oh, Renata, my heart gave a little thump when I saw this - it's so gorgeous! I want it - but its' all the wrong colors for me. Your work is enchanting!! :) Silke

Rosanne said...

My favorite summer time color AND my favorite play also. Its a beauty.

sharon said...

Absolutely beautiful Renate....the color is soooo wonderful, the design, just everything! The blossom is spectacular, and the story makes the piece!!

SueBeads said...

I love that blossom! And I love the colors!

lilylovekin said...

I love the silk flower and the copper stamens coming out of it. This is a beautiful necklace. And the little wire wrapping of the individual flowers hanging off the necklace is so cute. I don't know if I'm describing things correctly because I don't know a lot about jewelry making, but I know I love your necklace!

Anonymous said...

wow, i didn't realize that was a silk flower at first, beautiful work! love the copper too!

Sherry said...

A beautiful ode to misdummer and the bard!! It's beautiful!

Cristi Baxter Clothier said...

Just lovely, Renate!

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

This is as if I made it in a dream! You are so gifted! Silke directed me here and said there was a necklace that was me. My fave green the way it looks like a faery made it. She was right! Blessings dear and keep scattering joy! Light, Amy

Deryn Mentock said...

Oh, my gosh! How beautiful is this, Renate? Absolutely spectacular. You must be very happy with it!

HappyDayArt! said...

It is gorgeous! I love it.

Catherine